The Results of Putting Your Time In

First, my apologies to those of you who follow this blog for my prolonged absence. Life has sent a number of difficult distractions my way, but I'm ready to resume things here.

I had a recording session today which shows the importance of putting your time in, doing the work, and knowing your sounds. I was asked to play some Gongs and bells to a track for an upcoming art installation. I arrived at the studio on time, brought my gear in and set it up. Then I went into the control room where I listened to the 10 minute track. After hearing it, I asked what sort of sounds they were looking for. We talked about a base track of big Gongs and then overdubbing some bells.


In the studio… (photo by Meg Mullaney Vartanian)

I went into the studio, got set, and they hit record. I played the big Gongs, matching pitches here, adding a counter point there, just flowing with the music. When it was done, I felt good about it. I went back into the control room for a listen. We played it back once and it was amazing. 


I just nailed it.

It sounded perfect the way it was, so we didn't need to add anything else. 


One take. That was it. 

I packed up and went home, satisfied with my performance.

As I have previously blogged about, do your work! Put in your time! There are no shortcuts. 

You always get back what you put in.

~ MB


Chop Wood | Carry Water | Play Gongs™    







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

528Hz, 432Hz, and Other Fallacies

Cracking/Breaking Gongs

What's The Best Gong To Buy?