From the Mail Bag: Why Aren't Your Gong Stands More Artistic?

Today's post features a recent comment from the mail bag, or more accurately, from one of my YouTube videos about Gong stands:
Most all gong stands I have found are boring and do nothing to present the beautiful gong that brings so much joy to our well being. I am surprised your stands are not more artistic like.  I built a great gong stand in my shop to hold my 40 inch wind gong.  My gong is very happy to be housed in it because it told me so.

I have nothing against beautiful, artistic Gong stands. I do have some decorative wooden ones in my house that are more for displaying various Gongs I have. Decorative stands, much like fancy furniture, are great for permanent installations.



My current rack set up: sturdy & functional

I'm a working musician and have been for almost 50 years now. Currently, I play 8-12 gigs a month with my Gongs, generally traveling within a 100 mile radius of my house. I also have to carry and set up everything myself because I have no helpers or road crew. My stand requirements are very different from people who, A) either never travel, B) travel with their instruments infrequently, or C) may have only 1 or 2 Gongs. I usually travel with a large set up of 8 Gongs and 40+ bells, bowls & cymbals. I need stands that are:

  1. Strong
  2. Portable
  3. Easy to set up and take down
  4. Pack away compactly in a case
  5. And are functional for a variety of performance situations. 
I also need something that will stand up to the rigors of playing 100+ gigs a year. I’ve been using the same basic main stand since around 2004 and it has served me well. In all these years of performing, I have never had a stand break, fail, or fall over. These are important things when you are playing so often and depend on your gear to work every night.

Another thing I like about the stands I use is that I can expand or contract them as needed for different performance situations. Sometimes I play smaller venues and can only use half of my set up. With the Gibraltar stands, I'm easily able to adjust them to work for different needs.

Everyone has they're own needs. Mine happen to be very different from many other Gong players out there. Use whatever stands work for you.

~  MB

Chop Wood / Carry Water / Play Gongs™


If you've enjoyed reading these blogs, please consider a donation. Thank You ~ MB.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

528Hz, 432Hz, and Other Fallacies

Cracking/Breaking Gongs

What's The Best Gong To Buy?