I Don't Give Out Certificates

I teach. 

Definition of teach
: to cause or help (someone) to learn about a subject by giving lessons
: to give lessons about (a particular subject) to a person or group
: to cause or help (a person or animal) to learn how to do something by giving lessons, showing how it is done, etc.

I teach music, percussion, and Gongs/Bowls/Bells. 
I teach technique and all the things surrounding technique. 
I teach the intangibles, the things that fall between the cracks, the things that most people don't think about, or ask about. 
I teach about the air and the spaces in between the sounds we make. 
I teach about the spaces in our heads and how to access them. 
I teach about other realms available to us. 
I teach about the history and the mystery of what we do as musicians.
I teach about experiencing your own inner pulses and those of the world around you.
I teach about lineage and where we came from.
I teach about where we're going.

But even then, teach is not the right word. I'm more of a guide

Definition of guide
: a person who leads or directs other people on a journey
: a person who shows and explains the interesting things in a place
: a person who helps to direct another person's behavior, life, career, etc.
I show you all the things I describe above, and assist you on your journey. We are on the same or similar paths. I may have been on this path a little longer than you, so I have traveled further. What I do, is tell you about what I've seen, what I've felt, what I've experienced, what I've known. I tell you both what to look for, and what to look out for, just up ahead. And this journey is never ending for both of us. It is a journey of a lifetime. There is no finish. There is no end. There is no point where you know it all. There is just the path moving ever forward.



That is why I don't give out certificates. If you work with me, it is on going. It is a path, not a process or a method. And it is individual for each of us. There are no tests to take, because everything is a test. There are no goals to reach, because to keep going is the only goal. How can I give you a piece of paper for that?

~ MB

Chop Wood | Carry Water | Play Gongs™




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

528Hz, 432Hz, and Other Fallacies

Cracking/Breaking Gongs

What's The Best Gong To Buy?