What I'm Thinking: Towards A Unified Sound Theory

I've played drums & percussion for over 40 years. It's been a long ride through a lot of different musical territory. While playing drum set was my main focus for much of that time, and it's something I still do, for the past 15 years Gongs/Bowls/Bells and other metal percussion are what really get me going. There's something about the sounds, the vibrations that I find fulfilling. I love playing them. When I do, I'm transported to another realm. I'll gladly play them anytime, anywhere, and for anything. 

I generally do 3 things:
  1. Play meditation sessions 
  2. Play solo concerts
  3. Play in ad hoc improvising groups 


And over the years, they have all become the same thing for me. I used to distinguish between them, “Now I'm playing a meditation,” or, “Now I'm performing a concert.” But the lines have blurred, as I realized that they all come from the same source. They are all me. I am all of them.

And the way I approach my playing has changed with this. I bring a lot of the same instruments, use a lot of the same techniques, and think along the same lines no matter what I do. Little things change, but the core of what I do remains. This has become sort of my unified theory of sound & vibration.

I can also add a few more circles to the diagram above: writer, composer, producer, photographer, graphic designer, etc., yet that center where they all intersect, is who and what I really am. There's no separation anymore. To me writing a blog post is no different than playing percussion, or taking a photograph. All of these activities come from, and are informed by, the same source. 

Who are you?


~ MB


Chop Wood | Carry Water | Play Gongs™    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

528Hz, 432Hz, and Other Fallacies

Cracking/Breaking Gongs

What's The Best Gong To Buy?